9 to 5
Step One: Tumble out of bed
Step Two: Stumble to the kitchen
Step Three: Pour (usually blend) myself a cup of ambition
I can thank 10 a.m. college start times for making me forget that people need to be awake and functioning at 7 a.m. and not rolling out of bed at 9:50. Even though my alarm(s) can sometimes be like a slap in the face, I get up excited for another day working in the music industry. I'm in the office at my internship 3 days a week from 9-5 and I truly love it more and more each time I step foot inside.
Everyone at Average Joes has been so welcoming and in my few days there, I have already learned a lot. This is my first time working at a company like this and I feel like a sponge trying to suck up all the information and experiences being thrown my way. I'll wring it out a little bit to give a better idea of some of the things I've been learning.
- I have been helping to draft tour posts to promote the artists shows and using Photoshop to make some of the graphics! Take a look HERE
- I have learned how to use Word Press to add news items to the Average Joes website. I posted THIS!
- I have helped to pitch songs to Spotify playlist curators
- The other day I was there for an A & R meeting with hopeful artists
- I am helping to gather and record data regarding streams and interaction with the artists music and social media
- The list can go on and on but these are some of my favorites so far!
I feel so fortunate to have this experience! I've known I want to work in the music industry for a while now and to actually be living that reality is crazy and exceeding my expectations. I'm hoping to also use this new knowledge and apply it to myself as an artist to help with my own growth!
Sometimes, 9 to 5 is more like 9 to 10:30 if I go to my hostess job afterwords. I have a lot of fun working at the restaurant and all my co-workers have made me feel so welcomed to the city and really helped with the transition here especially in the few weeks before my roommate arrived! (I'm not sure if any of you will ever find or read this, but if you do, thanks everyone <3 ) So many of them are also working in the music industry either at record labels, publicity companies or as musicians. It's so inspiring to be surrounded by so much talent and so many dedicated people. I feel energized and empowered and so ready to keep actively chasing my dreams.
For this weeks playlist I've titled it NASHVILLE BABY! I've always enjoyed country music but have been hearing so many new songs, and some old favorites, and use this to get me in the country mood. So check it out HERE!